On May 30th, Boys & Girls Clubs of America invited Club members from our Richard England Clubhouse 14 to participate in the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness and Nutrition Field Day. Six members attended the event on the South Lawn where they chatted with Surgeon General Jerome Adams, played volleyball with Olympic Gold Medalist, Misty May-Treanor, and visited with Ivanka Trump. After some activities, all of the youth participants were called to the stage area for updates made by President Trump. President Trump issued an executive order in February refocusing the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition on youth sports. His daughter, Ivanka, stated, “We must break down barriers to youth sports participation and empower each child to reach his or her full potential through sport and play.” She said that by the time girls reach age 14, they drop out of athletics two times the rate of boys.
BGCGW aims to incorporate healthy living and active learning in every part of the Club experience. Through our various programs and sports leagues, we epitomize the ideals held by the White House in terms of keeping our youth active. Our program, Healthy Habits, emphasizes good nutrition, regular physical activity and improving overall well-being.
We serve kids and teens through an adopted strategy created by our National Headquarters to ensure Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.
Boys and Girls Club has twelve locations throughout the Greater Washington region. Visit a club page below, or find a club near you!
Here are just a few ways to partner with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. From volunteers to event sponsorships and program funding, we rely on the support of people and organizations like you.
- GIANT FOOD PARTNERS WITH BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER WASHINGTON FOR GIVING TUESDAY
- DOUG FIRSTENBERG, FOUNDING PRINCIPAL OF STONEBRIDGE HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- ANGELA ALSOBROOKS, COUNTY EXECUTIVE of PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- SUZANNE HILLMAN, PRESIDENT & CEO of SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT COMPANIES HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- ANNUAL BLUE FEST FUNDRAISER BRINGS THE FUN AND FOOD TO CLUB SUPPORTERS
- Alumni Spotlight: Carla Grant-Pickens