For 13 years, Derrick Almond has seen himself grow more confident, thanks to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. Well-mannered and dressed for success, Derrick credits Miss Roberta from the Hylton Branch and Miss Patrice from the Alexandria Branch for helping him to become more polished. Derrick also credits the Club with teaching him to become peer leader. Derrick credits his parents with teaching him how to take on any task and succeed and to never say never no matter how daunting the task.
Showing just how much Derrick has grown as a Club Member, he was selected as the Youth of the Year for his Club as well as one of two BGCGW Youth of the Year Ambassadors for 2016. His message for his fellow younger Club Members as they look to their futures is: “Simple. Do it.”
It’s clear that Derrick Almond will aspire to do great things in his future. He will be attending Norfolk State University in the fall where he will be enrolled in the pre-med program in hopes of becoming a doctor.
We serve kids and teens through an adopted strategy created by our National Headquarters to ensure Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.
Boys and Girls Club has twelve locations throughout the Greater Washington region. Visit a club page below, or find a club near you!
Here are just a few ways to partner with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. From volunteers to event sponsorships and program funding, we rely on the support of people and organizations like you.
- GIANT FOOD PARTNERS WITH BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER WASHINGTON FOR GIVING TUESDAY
- DOUG FIRSTENBERG, FOUNDING PRINCIPAL OF STONEBRIDGE HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- ANGELA ALSOBROOKS, COUNTY EXECUTIVE of PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- SUZANNE HILLMAN, PRESIDENT & CEO of SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT COMPANIES HONORED BY 2021 YOUTH IN REAL ESTATE
- ANNUAL BLUE FEST FUNDRAISER BRINGS THE FUN AND FOOD TO CLUB SUPPORTERS
- Alumni Spotlight: Carla Grant-Pickens