Some folks call it the “summer slump,” others “summer learning loss,” and Boys & Girls Clubs call it “brain drain.” Whatever you call it, students in our communities and across the country will experience academic losses over the summer months.
According to a 2013 survey of 500 teachers by the National Summer Learning Association, summer brain drain is a significant problem. Sixty-six percent of teachers polled reported that it takes them at least three to four weeks to re-teach the previous years’ skills at the beginning of a new school year. The effects of summer learning loss are even more evident among lower-income kids.
BGCGW is working to fight the effects of summer reading loss among our Club members by providing engaging, enriching and educational summer camps for kids in the communities we serve. Camps include our Best Buy Geek Camp sponsored in partnership with Google and our Cyber Security Code camp supported by DC Arts and Humanities. (DCAAH); both of which focus on improving math and science skills through innovative STEM curriculum. We also offer traditional Day Camps that promote Boys & Girls Clubs’ Fun With a Purpose (FWAP).
To learn more about BGCGW summer camps contact your local Boys & Girls Club.
We serve kids and teens through an adopted strategy created by our National Headquarters to ensure Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington has fifteen locations throughout the Washington, DC region. Visit a Club page below, or find a Club near you!
District of Columbia
- FBR Club @THEARC
- George M. Ferris, Jr. Clubhouse 6
- Jelleff Community Center
- Richard England Clubhouse 14
Here are just a few ways to partner with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. From volunteers to event sponsorships and program funding, we rely on the support of people and organizations like you.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington Receives Unprecedented $10 Million Gift from Local Philanthropist.
- BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER WASHINGTON AND WEGMANS SUPERMARKETS PREPARE KIDS FOR SUMMER WITH BETTER NUTRITION INFORMATION
- BGCGW PRESIDENT & CEO NAMED WASHINGTONIAN OF THE YEAR
- GREATER WASHINGTON CLUB KID EARNS NATIONAL TITLE, $50,000 SCHOLARSHIP + CAR
- BlueFest Spotlight: Pat Blackburn
- Lion King Kids: More than a Musical!