DC’s Mayor Muriel Bowser Honored by BGCGW Teens
Participants in BGCGW’s Fearless Girls Program at the Jelleff Recreation Center recently presented our Mayor with the first FEARLESS WOMAN award!
Adopted and nurtured by benefactor, Lezlee Westine, President and CEO of the Personal Care Products Council, FEARLESS Women is an empowerment program for middle and high school girls that creates a safe, positive environment in which the girls can discuss ‘mature’ issues that they perhaps feel less comfortable talking about with family or teachers. The young ladies also spend a great deal of time working on post-secondary education planning and readiness.
During the event the Mayor shared that being a “fearless woman” means being prepared to do the right thing even when it may not be the popular thing.
As part of the ceremony each girl told the Mayor, why they think she is a FEARLESS Woman, followed by a lively Q&A session. The girls described their meeting with the Mayor as an “inspiring and memorable event.”
We thank Mayor Muriel Bowser for her time and care; Council Member Jack Evans for his attendance and support; Kimberly Bassett, Director, Office on Women’s Policy & DC Commission for Women for her invaluable assistance, and of course our Jelleff staff and fearless girls for making this event a reality.
We serve kids and teens through an adopted strategy created by our National Headquarters to ensure Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.
Boys and Girls Club has twelve locations throughout the Greater Washington region. Visit a club page below, or find a club near you!
Here are just a few ways to partner with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. From volunteers to event sponsorships and program funding, we rely on the support of people and organizations like you.
- Lion King Kids: More than a Musical!
- President Obama and Club Members Search for Nature’s Treasures
- Top 5 Qualities to Look for in a Summer Camp for Your Child
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington Announces $6.8 Million Gift from MacKenzie Scott
- BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER WASHINGTON INTRODUCES FREE PROGRAMMING FOR PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY SCHOOLS
- BGCGW names Arts Center in honor of board member and Women’s Leadership Group (WLG) Founder & Chairman, Patty Perkins Andringa